Japanese women live longer than any other women on the planet. Even when they are 100 years old, they still look surprisingly young and spry. Part of their longevity is due to their diet and exercise habits. Japanese culture focuses on eating lots of vegetables, fruits, rice, and fish. All of these foods are good for your overall health and wellness.
Other than eating right, getting in shape can also help you live longer. This exercise plan was developed by Katsuzō Nishi. Years ago, Katsuzō Nishi was just a boy in Japan. When he was 20 years old, he was diagnosed with a potentially fatal disease. He used this diagnosis as an inspiration to create a healthy exercise plan. As a result, Katsuzō Nishi ended up living to the age of 75.
1. Reed in the Wind
This exercise is designed to increase blood flow to your legs. As a result, it can alleviate aching, sore legs.
- Start by lying down on your stomach on a hard surface.
- Bend your knees and imagine that your knees and legs are just reeds swaying in the wind.
- Wave your legs around as you try to touch your bottom with your heels. It may take a lot of practice to actually do this, so keep practicing this exercise each day.
2. A Leaf
This exercise is great for improving your overall posture. It can also boost your cerebral circulation.
- Lie down on your back. Your face should be turned toward the ceiling. Make sure to use a hard surface.
- Relax completely as you imagine your body becoming infinitely light and empty.
- Bend your knees without lifting your feet. Pull your feet closer to your bottom as you bend your knees.
- Lift your head up as you try to touch your knees with your palms. Do not allow your spine to lift up off of the ground.
- Once you can touch your knees with your hands, lift up your head. Make sure your spine is horizontal.
- Remain in this pose for as long as possible. Imagine infinite energy coming into your body through your head.
- When you can no longer maintain the position, relax your body and return to the starting pose.
3. A Boat
This exercise is excellent for women after a pregnancy. It helps to strengthen your muscles and remove stomach weight. It can also boost your digestive system and balance.
- Lie down on your back with your legs placed together. Your arms should be next to your sides with the palms facing down.
- Count to four as you lift your legs up. Your toes should be stretched upward.
- While you do this, you should also be lifting up the top half of your body. Keep your arms straight and touch your fingertips to your knees.
- Remain in this position until it becomes tiring.
- Do this 10 times if your physical abilities allow you to.
4. A Willow Branch
This exercise can reduce back pain. It also strengthens your veins and blood vessels.
- Stand up as tall as possible. Keep your feet parallel to each other with your legs placed far apart.
- Focus on your body and imagine that you are weightless.
- Put your hands over your kidneys with your fingers pulled over your bottom.
- Arch your back gently and tilt your head backward.
- When you reach the maximum tilt, relax your arms.
- Gently sway from left to right like a willow branch next to a flowing river.
- When you are tired, go back to the initial position.
5. A Sky Near a River
This exercise strengthens your spine and reduces your stomach weight. It can calm the mind, boost blood circulation and improve your imagination.
- Lie down on your back on a hard surface.
- Clasp your hands gently behind the back of your head.
- Gradually lift your body into a comfortable sitting position.
- Bend your body into your legs.
- When you reach your maximum stretch, imagine that you are standing and looking at a river. Imagine that you are dissolving into the river’s waters.
- Return your body to the starting position as you remember the sense of dissolving.
- Look up and imagine that you are looking at the sky.
6. A Vine
Doing this exercise regularly can reduce leg and back pain.
- Stand up as tall as you can.
- Massage your waist as you imagine your body becoming completely flexible.
- Gently bend forward and try to touch the ground with your hands.
- Go back to the starting position and then bend down as low as possible.
- Return to the starting position. Then, lean gently to your left and right sides.
- Go back to the starting position and relax completely.
This exercise can reduce the fat in your thighs. It can open up your hips and reduce pain in your lower back. It can also improve your breathing.
- Begin in a kneeling position.
- As you arch your back, reach backward to grab your ankles with both hands.
- Hold this position for five seconds before going back to the starting position.
- Depending on your health and age, try to do this exercise 10 times.